The Nationwide Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is all about saving lives and defending folks from hurt—by not letting weapons fall into the unsuitable fingers. It additionally ensures the well timed switch of firearms to eligible gun consumers.
Database Access: Click Here
Mandated by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 and launched by the FBI on November 30, 1998, NICS is utilized by Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) to immediately decide whether or not a potential purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms. Earlier than ringing up the sale, cashiers name in a test to the FBI or to different designated businesses to make sure that every buyer doesn’t have a prison report or isn’t in any other case ineligible to make a purchase order. Greater than 230 million such checks have been made, resulting in greater than 1.three million denials.
NICS is positioned on the FBI’s Prison Justice Info Providers Division in Clarksburg, West Virginia. It supplies full service to FFLs in 30 states, 5 U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia. Upon completion of the required Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Kind 4473, FFLs contact the NICS Part through a toll-free phone quantity or electronically on the Web by the NICS E-Test System to request a background test with the descriptive data supplied on the ATF Kind 4473. NICS is usually obtainable 17 hours a day, seven days per week, together with holidays (aside from Christmas). Please be suggested that calls could also be monitored and recorded for any approved objective.
Why you have to perform a background check:
- To make sure you have not been convicted of a crime by more then one year punishable up to two years.
- To make sure you’re not a Fugitive From Justice.
- To make sure you have not been convicted of domestic violence.
- To make sure you have not been convicted of use of a controlled substance.
- To make sure you don’t have a restraining order for domestic violence.
- To make sure you are not under indictment.
- To make sure you don’t have any mental health issues.
- To make sure you are a legal citizen of the United States.
- To make sure you have not been already Federally denied a firearm.
- To make sure you have not renounced U.S Citizenship.
- To check for Dishonorable Discharge from the Military.
RSS Feed URL Click Here